SCHUYLERVILLE – The outgoing program director of the Schuylerville Youth Program fears children and staff were exposed to toxic septic gas inside the recreation center at Fort Hardy Park for the last 27 years.
Kate Leone told NewsChannel 13 she recently discovered the septic pipe was venting inside the attic: an apparent violation of a state code that requires the pipe to extend to the "outer air."
The program’s executive director, Joanne Sciurba, and the village mayor, John Sherman, did not want to hear about it, Leone said.
"They don't acknowledge the problem exists," Leone said. "It is my opinion that the mayor is at the source of trying to cover up the fact that this septic gas was piped inside for all these years."
Mayor Sherman declined to comment on the situation, saying it is "not a story." Sciurba also declined to comment, except to say that Leone is "wrong."