Travers, Rachel highlight Saratoga weekend | Community Spirit
SARATOGA SPRINGS - It's shaping up to be a blockbuster weekend at the track.
The Travers Stakes highlights a Saturday race card with five major stakes races.
"If you had to write up a recipe for the kind of racing you'd like to see at Saratoga, you'll see it right here on Saturday," NYRA President Charlie Hayward said.
NYRA expects more than 70,000 people to fill the grounds this weekend.
That's because Rachel Alexandra, the popular filly, will run in the Personal Ensign on Sunday.
"I like that she's a female horse and she can run with the males," Sara Keller of Saratoga Springs said.
"Look in her eyes, those deep, big browns, and see everything she is. She's a champion,” Mike Solvay said.
Rachel will run against four other fillies on Sunday.
Top Saratoga Springs Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 68-year-old victim testifies about alleged assault at hands of 19-year-old
- Stillwater man accused of hosting drinking party on private property
- Sheriff: Clifton Park man kills self as deputies arrive
- Expectations high as Lake George-area prepares for start of tourist season
- Local airman graduates basic military training