Storm Safety Tips | Environment
ALBANY - In light of the recent severe thunderstorm and tornado watches, the American Red Cross is reminding people to remain safe in inclement weather.
Before Lightning Strikes: Keep yours eyes on the sky, and remember if you can hear thunder you are clos eenough to be struck by lighting. Stay or go indoors immediately.
When A Storm Approaches: Find shelter in a building or a car, keep windows cosed and avoid convertibles. Remember telephone lines and metal pipes can conduct electricity.
If Caught Outside: Go to a low lying , open place away from trees, poles, or metal objects. Make sure the place you pick is not flooding and make yourself the smallest target possible. If you are boasting or swimming get to land and find shelter immediately.
If Someone Is Struck By Lightning: They carry no electrical charge and can be handled safely. Call 911 or your local EMS number, give first aid, if the heart has stopped beating, administer CPR.
For More Information on severe thunderstorm and tornado preparedness, first aid, and CPR training, PLEASE VISIT.
Top Saratoga Springs Stories
Upcoming Events near Saratoga Springs
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 68-year-old victim testifies about alleged assault at hands of 19-year-old
- Stillwater man accused of hosting drinking party on private property
- Sheriff: Clifton Park man kills self as deputies arrive
- Expectations high as Lake George-area prepares for start of tourist season
- Local airman graduates basic military training